If your online project is successfully developing, you will surely find someone who wants to put sticks in your wheels. He will act on the sly, so you will not notice the problem immediately. This is called negative SEO. How to find it and what to do to protect? Read below.
What is negative SEO
Negative SEO is the actions of detractors aimed at reducing the credibility of your resource in the eyes of the audience and search robots, reducing traffic, reducing the position of the site in the natural issue. In the overwhelming majority of cases, antiseoshniki create the conditions in which search engines are forced to impose sanctions on the victim resource.
The most common methods of negative SEO include:
- Bulk purchase of poor quality links. This is the most primitive black SEO method. However, it is effective: a large number of backlinks from g *** sites with a high degree of probability lead to sanctions and absolutely guarantee the headache for resource owners.
- Theft of good links. This is a more subtle method. Antiseoshnik have to act manually and be creative. He must find arguments that force resource owners to remove natural links to the victim site.
- Content theft. This method is close to open confrontation. The detractor can copy your content by automatic means and publish on low-profile sites. He can also manually borrow your best publications and pass them off as his own.
- Hacking site. An antiscale can quietly add malicious code or send spam on your behalf. Sanctions guaranteed.
- Information discredit the site. This is a delicate work: a detractor deprives you of authority in the eyes of the target audience, bypassing the middlemen in the face of search engines.
In the latter case, it is more appropriate to use the term "negative marketing", since the impact is bypassing search engines.
See also: How Panda 4.1 will affect your content strategy
How to detect black SEO
You should be suspicious of black SEO by noticing any anomalies with the site, including the following:
- Sharp traffic changes.
- A sharp drop in positions in the issuance.
- Sanctions and filters applied by search engines.
- Technical problems with the site: incorrect display of pages, increasing download speed.
- Complaints of visitors and subscribers.
You can confirm negative SEO using these tools:
1. Dashboard for Google webmasters. Pay attention to problem reports. In the "Search traffic - links" section, follow external links. In the section "Search traffic - measures taken by hand" you can find out about manual filters. In the "Scanning - Security Issues" section, you should monitor the malicious code on the site.
2. Ahrefs. C using this tool you will find the most complete list of links to your site. Ahrefs allows you to detect missing links. This is important for diagnosing link theft.
3. Open Site Explorer. Another link monitoring tool. In the Just Discovered section, you can find the latest backlinks.
4. Übersuggest. This service allows you to quickly find out what users are looking for along with information about your business. The tool will be needed to diagnose negative marketing, as well as technical problems with the site. For example, think about if users search for information about you using the queries “your name + scammers”, “your name + is not loaded”, “your name + spam”, etc.
5. Google Alerts. Another diagnostic tool for negative marketing. You can receive an e-mail whenever a publication mentions your company name, the names of key employees, and other important data.
6. Google Analytics. With the help of this tool you can monitor traffic anomalies, technical metrics and user behavior on the site. For example, in the behavioral reports, monitor the speed of loading the site. If it has increased dramatically for unknown reasons, there is reason to suspect hacking and the introduction of malicious code.
7. Services for monitoring mentions in social networks. For example, use SocialMention or YouScan. These paid tools allow you to follow brand references on social networks, which is important for diagnosing negative marketing.
8. Trackbacks. Configure trackbacks in the CMS of your site. This will allow you to receive notifications about content theft. Please note that in order to receive notification, the internal links you provide should be preserved in the stolen content. If your content is copied manually, you will not receive notifications.
See also: 200 most shared posts on internet marketing in runet
How to protect against negative SEO
Protection against black SEO depends on the unfriendly methods you have encountered.
Poor external links
If you find a large number of low-quality links, take the following actions:
- Use the link rejection tool.
- Send a request to remove links to owners of resources that link to your site.
- Contact the webmasters support services of search engines with a complaint about the resources that refer to you.
Your detractors can remove natural links from third-party resources in the only way: by asking the owners of donor sites. You can protect yourself from this:
- Having learned about the campaign against you, post a note on the blog with the email addresses from which requests to remove links come.
- Send information about a negative SEO campaign to site owners who have not yet deleted links to your resource.
- Ask webmasters who deleted links to restore them.
- Contact the initiator of the campaign against you. Choose your own strategy.
If you create quality content, it will inevitably be borrowed. Please note that not every copy-paste lover falls under the definition of an anti-setoshnik. Therefore, first of all, ask webmasters who have borrowed your content to put a link to the source. If they disagree, take the following actions against content theft:
- Configure in RSS and Email newsletter display only the publication announcement. This makes it difficult to automatically steal content.
- Complain to the search engine support service for resources that steal your content without specifying the source.
- In the extreme and in principle, go to court.
See also: Search engine marketing in the home: 10 tips for small businesses
If the attackers hacked your resource, they can do much more damage than reducing traffic with black SEO. However, for some reason they may be limited to the tactics mentioned above, aimed at discrediting the site in the eyes of users and search engines. In this case, take the following steps:
- Restore control over the resource. Be sure to contact your hosting provider and report the burglary.
- Scan the site for malicious code. Remove "malware" when detected.
- Tell the audience about the problem and its elimination. Apologize for the inconvenience.
In this context, it is appropriate to recall medical wisdom: experienced doctors say that a spoon of prevention replaces a barrel of drugs. Constantly work for the audience, become an indispensable and authoritative source of information for clients and readers. In this case, information attacks on you will remain ineffective.
In case of detection of an obvious information campaign against your project, take measures at your discretion. They depend on your character and temperament, manners to communicate, business reputation. Perhaps, using the reputation of the experienced master, you can afford to casually mention some upstart that is being promoted on your behalf.
White internet marketing is the best protection against black SEO
If you constantly follow the metrics of site efficiency, the opinion of the audience and colleagues, you will certainly notice a negative SEO campaign in a timely manner, even without special tools. This will allow you to take timely technical protection measures. And an information attack against you will drown if you have earned prestige in your industry. In this case, protection against detractors will remain a matter of technique.
See also: 9 ways to get traffic without search engines